The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have:
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
- A BS/BA degree or apprenticeship in a mechanical or electrical construction trade
- 8-10 total years of experience in the commercial construction industry and familiarity with electrical / mechanical contractors. The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years of experience with purchasing electrical subcontracts and come from a background in a variety of roles (i.e., estimating, project management, procurement, etc.)
- Purchasing experience to include price solicitation and negotiation for contracts greater than $1 million
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence others, and to provide specialized procurement guidance or training support for professional staff when needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work with employees at all levels of the organization, with the ability to be tenacious as well as diplomatic
- The ability to build strong working relationships with cross-functional teams throughout the organization and externally
- Proven sales and negotiation skills, and the ability to formulate and implement strategies that work to meet business needs
- A strong learning acumen and the aptitude and drive to learn new skills
- Detail orientation
- Experience as a project engineer, project manager, MEP coordinator, or electrical estimator in the Chicago commercial construction market
- Design and/or estimating experience with building automation, fire alarm and security systems
- Experience working with sales and engineering functions on cost reduction efforts
- Procurement management experience in a large, global corporation
- Experience with developing a diverse supply base to meet customer expectations for minority-owned and woman-owned business participation
The RoleReporting directly to the National Procurement Manager, as the Procurement Manager for the Electrical Construction function for the Midwest zone you will be responsible for managing third-party spend including materials and electrical installation labor for projects centered around building automation, fire alarm and security systems. You’ll directly engage large projects in the bidding phase to improve our competitive position by running the subcontractor solicitations (RFQs and RFPs), bid leveling and negotiations. You will be supporting numerous different construction projects at one time, so you’ll need to be comfortable working both on the sales / capture side, as well as the execution side.
This role owns both the day-to-day tasks of procurement, but also the overall strategic procurement function for your assigned branches. Most of your time will be spent directly performing specific activities within the sourcing process, and working on strategic procurement for specific projects. For about 20% of your time, you’ll also work at a higher level, creating procurement strategies that affect the entire area, implementing corporate policies and procedures, and leading and influencing others. You will need to be comfortable presenting strategies, financials, corrective action plans, etc. in front of Senior Management.
As you navigate the different parts of your role and build credibility among the management team, effective communication will be key. In fact, interaction with a wide variety of different stakeholders (both internally and externally) is a significant component of this role. You can expect to partner and work with contacts throughout the organization while also working directly with third party contractors, suppliers and customers. You’ll gather project requirements from the sales team, sell the opportunity to potential contractors, and provide guidance on procurement matters to Project Managers and Engineers.
More specifically, your responsibilities will include the following activities:
- Cost Reductions -- you’ll work to meet the target for percentage of cost savings achieved through price negotiations, value engineering efforts, and other means.
- Contract Terms -- you'll be responsible for the negotiation of specific contractual terms (e.g. payment terms).
- Procurement Processes -- you’ll follow all requirements for implementing new tools to enable more efficient and effective procurement as we drive towards a digital business culture.
- Supplier Management -- you’ll be responsible for managing relationships with major suppliers, including soliciting feedback from internal customers and sharing that with suppliers.
- Internal Customer Satisfaction -- you’ll be involved in surveying key managers to determine the service level provided.
- Digital Organization -- you’ll be a key part of helping the organization move more towards electronic and web-based ways of completing tasks, such as coaching and helping some vendors learn how to submit electronic bids through our website.
Why SiemensCutting-edge technology and innovation -- we encourage new ideas because we know the work we do will impact the world. Our projects help our customers realize improved energy delivery, safety and security. You’ll be challenged and enjoy the career satisfaction that comes as you help procure the contracts and materials we need to support our most important projects.
Career advancement -- prove yourself, and you’ll find there are many avenues to advance professionally and grow your skills. In fact, you could move into a more senior leadership role or pursue a global role within Siemens.
Support and resources -- you’ll have the support of a full team of talented professionals throughout the organization and you can expect to work with a variety of other divisions and teams within Siemens. We promote a team-oriented environment and have created a culture that fosters open communication, collaboration, and innovation. If you want to work in a challenging environment that offers growth, opportunity and the chance to make a real difference, you need to see what we have to offer!
The “best of both worlds” -- you’ll enjoy the entrepreneurial energy of the Building Technologies Division, backed by the stability and resources of Siemens AG, our global parent corporation.
Professional development -- you’ll expand your experience in just about all aspects of driving sourcing and procurement success. For example, if you don’t already have an in-depth understanding of procurement contracts, you’ll learn it in this role. You’ll work with a tight-knit team of talented professionals who have diverse backgrounds and tenure ranging from just a few to 30+ years; they’ll be a resource for “tribal knowledge” as well as industry and technical expertise.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer comprehensive benefits including all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises such as an Employee Assistance Program, Financial Planning Program, and Siemens Share Matching Program.
Keys to SuccessWe do things a little bit differently here at Siemens. To excel in this role you’ll need to possess a variety of skills that span beyond the traditional Procurement Manager function. You’ll need to be a strong communicator, able to talk strategy with our VP level just as comfortably as you can work with teams in the field, and “sell” the project opportunity and our organization to the subcontractors and suppliers who will be bidding on the project.
The Midwest management team is strong, and needs a procurement partner who can wholeheartedly jump into the debate. This job requires someone who is able to take a seat at the table and work for the good of the company, even if that sometimes means promoting an alternate course of action. You’ll need to be confident enough to make the right decision, even if that decision is unpopular. This role is going to take tenacity and salesmanship, along with a large measure of diplomacy.
Our industry is competitive and it will be important that you can communicate a strong value proposition throughout the sourcing, bidding and negotiating phase. You’ll also need to position yourself as an internal subject matter expert, so it’s safe to say that confidence, composure and some sales skills will be essential to your success in this role.
If you’re looking for a role with rigid structure and direction, this opportunity will probably not be a fit. In fact, if you’re doing your job well, you should not expect to speak to your manager every day. But if you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you enjoy autonomy, you are energized by the ability to make the role your own, and you’re comfortable working in an environment where things may not always be fully defined, this could be the ideal career move for you.
About UsSiemens Corporation is a U.S. subsidiary of Siemens AG, a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years.
At Siemens U.S., we are the team working to find answers to the most challenging questions of our time. We strive to create the sustainable systems and solutions that allow businesses to thrive, cities to grow and people to live longer, healthier lives. As part of a global organization of 360,000 employees operating in 190 countries, we are one of the top engineering and integrated technologies companies in the world.
In order to pursue business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in Divisions. This role will be part of the Building Technologies Division, the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environment-friendly buildings and infrastructures. We have business units for Building Automation, Control Products and Systems, and Fire Safety and Security.
For more information, please visit our website, but don't forget to come back to this page to apply.
Video: As an integrated technology company, Siemens offers a wide range of future-oriented solutions to the biggest questions of our time. This video provides a short overview of Siemens solutions in the different business areas.